Budding Choral Composers' Programme collects and introduces for the first time choral music from people who have not graduated music composition at a higher education level but who have still found writing it beautiful and necessary for their inner self. On 27th May 2017 there will be a galaconcert where 21 selected pieces will have their world premiers performed by the very good choirs of the University of Tartu. Tickets with reduced prices can be bought until the end of April (see below).
In Estonia, 42,000 people sing in choirs, which makes choral singing the most popular hobby in Estonia (Statistics Estonia, 2013).
100 music pieces - a lot more than one could have predicted - were submitted and among the authors there were music composition students, active conductors, instrumentalists, choral singers, music teachers and other enthusiasts. The pieces were judged by 3 juries, each one composed of at least one conductor, one professional young composer and one non-professional choir singer. Members of the juries were Alo Ritsing, Jürgen Rünk, Karoliina Kalda, Kuno Kerge, Pärt Uusberg, Riho Esko Maimets, Robert Pirk and Triin Koch. In November there was a feedback seminar, and since February 2017, the composers of the selected pieces have been visiting the choirs' rehearsals and discussing the pieces with the conductors.
The 21 world premiers at the gala concert:
• Anne-Mai Salumäe / Arved Paul - 'Üle lumise välja'
• Hando Põldmäe / Hando Põldmäe - 'Millest kõnelevad', 'Sind palun'
• Imre Rohuväli / Kersti Merilaas, Juhan Viiding, Kersti Merilaas - 'August', 'Laul sügavast düünist', 'Usalda oma silmi'
• Jaanus Karlson / Juhan Liiv - 'Ainule'
• Jaanus Nurmoja / Neeme Plutus - 'Mere äärde meeled viivad', 'Viis tundelendu Neeme Plutuse sõnadele'
• Jörgen Kursk / folklore - 'Kiigele'
• Karin Kuulpak / folklore - 'Unelaul'
• Liisa Rahusoo / folklore - 'Loomine'
• Maarja-Liisa Pilvik / rahvaluule, Viivi Luik - 'Kiigelaul', 'Palve'
• Patrik Sebastian Unt / Kristiina Ehin - 'Viimased lumeta päevad'
• Roland Viilukas / Kersti Merilaas - 'Unelaul'
• Sander Sokk / Anu Reigo, Indrek Hirv - 'Veel kolm päeva augustikuud', 'Vikerkaar'
• Siim Aimla / Jürgen Rooste - 'Kojukutsumise laul (Talendid koju!)'
• Sirje Kaasik / Leelo Tungal - 'Sind ma tahan armastada'
• Viktoria Grahv / Jana Lepik - 'Loojangutaeva all sa vaatad'
On 27th May 2017 there will be a gala concert in the newly opened Estonian National Museum where the above-mentioned pieces will have their world premieres. They will be performed by three excellent choirs: Tartu Academic Male Choir (cond. Kuno Kerge), the Academic Female Choir of the University of Tartu (cond. Triin Koch), and Tartu University Chamber Choir (cond. Triin Koch). Some special prizes will be awarded and the audience will choose its favourite piece. Before the concert and during the break, it will be possible to order scores of the pieces performed and other Estonian choral music at the information desk of the Estonian Music Information Centre.
The programme was initiated and is fully led by choral singers of the aforementioned female choir with the help of the male and mixed choir who all actively participate in the choral community.
Supporters: Cultural Endowment of Estonia, City of Tartu, Estonian Authors’ Society, Estonian Music Information Centre, Klassikaraadio, Postimees, Athena Centre, journal Muusika, journal Teater.Muusika.Kino.
500 tickets are on sale from the first days of April.
Time: Sat, 27 May 2017 at 7 pm (doors are open from 6.15 pm; the concert has an interval and ends at approx. 9.30 pm)
Venue: Estonian National Museum, Tartu
Price: €8/€6* (until 30 April), from 1 May €10/€8*, supporter tickets €15 and €25
(*reduced prices for students and pensioners)
- Ticketer - Estonian, Finnish, Latvian and Lithuanian banking links, Pocopay and Visa/Mastercard debit and credit cards
- Piletimaailm - Estonian banking links (Swedbank, SEB, LHV, Danske Bank, Nordea), Finnish Nordea banking link and Visa/Mastercard
- Piletilevi - Estonian banking links (Swedbank, SEB, LHV, Danske Bank, Nordea, Krediidipank), Visa/Mastercard
If tickets have been sold out through one of these service providers, please try another one - each of them sell "their own" tickets - or please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information about the programme: